Tuesday, April 2, 2013

As Seen on Pinterest: Stained Glass Nails


Arden: For today's "As Seen on Pinterest," we're taking a step away from the nail art oeuvre and finding inspiration elsewhere on Pinterest!

I was talking with my mom last week about possible crafts she could make with her friends at a future crafting night, and I rediscovered this painting I'd pinned a while ago:

from http://mariateorien.blogspot.dk/2012/06/tape-painting.html
I looked at it and realized it'd be pretty easy to duplicate on my nails!  I started by painting them with 2 coats of Essie Good as Gold.  Then I used striping tape to tape off geometric shapes.




 I then painted each section using a different color.

Colors used:
Essie Butler Please (royal blue)
Essie Navigate Her (pistachio green)
Essie Midnight Cami (navy blue)
Revlon Cherries in the Snow (pinkish red)
Revlon Impuslive (dark purple)
Sally Hansen Insta-Dry Snappy Sorbet (orange)
Sinful Colors Rise and Shine (emerald green)


After painting each nail, I immediately removed the tape using tweezers.  It's easier to remove the tape without removing any polish if the polish hasn't dried yet.  You will also be much more successful if you use tweezers to take off the tape!  The last time I used striping tape, I just used my fingers and that resulted in me messing up a couple of wet nails.  Use tweezers, my friends!


You can tell in a couple of these pictures that I had more trouble with my top coat making the polish run over the base coat.  I even used a different top coat this time!  I'm still trying to figure out how to avoid that issue.  I might just have to wait a reallllllly long time after painting them before adding the top coat to be 100% sure that they're perfectly dry.  I'll keep you posted.

Ugh, navy blue, why did you bleed so badly onto the gold?


We love terrariums! (This was the only prop we had that was even vaguely like stained glass.)
These took a little time to complete, but I ended up liking them a lot!  Plus, they matched practically any outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment