Monday, May 20, 2013

Doily (?) Nails


Arden: Again, I'm not too sure how to describe this manicure.  It's vaguely like lace, but maybe more like a doily?  (When I asked Lisl for her impression, she responded: "They do look like a doily, but doily's a funny word."  You heard it hear first! Lisl also suggested "art deco half-moons" but since I am never really sure what art deco is supposed to look like, I didn't feel comfortable with it.)

I started by painting my nails with two coats of Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Celeb City.  I applied a coat of Seche Vite to dry the silver coat faster, and then I applied hole reinforcement stickers at the base of each nail.  (This time, I cut them in half, which I think makes them easier to apply and remove, plus you only use half as many!)  With the stickers in place, I painted a thick top coat of Essie No More Film.  I removed each sticker immediately after painting the nail.  This gave me some great reverse manicure/half moon nails!



After that, it was just a matter of making larger silver dots along the periphery of the half moon and above it, and then making smaller purple dots inside those dots and in a curved line inside the half moon.  I do wish I'd made my purple dots slightly smaller-- I feel like they kind of overwhelm the silver dots.

I also am not sure that Celeb City was the best polish to make these dots with-- the granulated nature of this silver glitter sadly doesn't lend itself to making it look like the silver dots are part of the silver half moons.


What do you think?  Do you think they're doily-like? Or can you think up a better name?  Let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment