Friday, May 10, 2013

NOTD: Gradient Fading Dots


Arden here: Aren't these nails super cute?  This might be one of my favorite manicures I've done so far!

It is also by far the most extensive dotting project I've ever taken on.  Previously, any time I saw a design that required an even distribution of dots, I shied away because I just didn't think I could ever possibly make dots that neatly.  But when I saw a similar fading dot design on My Nail Polish Online I fell so in love with it that I knew had to try.  (I also thought that the larger dots might've been easier to pull off than smaller dotting patterns.)

I started with two coats of OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls.  Then I sponged a 3 color gradient on each nail (white, light color, slightly darker color).  This was not a super easy process-- it took a couple tries to get each nail right, and that usually involved sponging on some extra white at the base of the nail.


Colors Used (thumb to pinky):
Essie Mint Candy Apple
Zoya Wednesday
Revlon Dreamer
Essie Bikini So Teeny
Essie Jangle Bangle
Zoya Mira
Essie Navigate Her
Sinful Colors Rise and Shine
Revlon Timeless
Maybelline Color Show Impeccable Greys

Whew!  That was a lot of colors!

Then I used my dotting tool to make even dots across my nails.




Here's the strategy I used to make my dots even: I started by doing the vertical line of three dots down the middle of my nail.  Then I made the dots on either side of those dots (basically making small diamonds of 4 dots).  After those were done, it was pretty easy to fill in all the dots over the rest of the nail.

It wasn't perfect, but it actually looked pretty darn good, I thought!

See, I was even able to do my other hand!
The only regret I had about this manicure was I wish I hadn't used grey.  The original I took my inspiration from used grey and it looked good, so I tried it.  I wish I'd gone with pink instead.


I just love the effect of the dots over the gradient-- it makes it look like the dots are fading!  I think this would be a cool design to try again when trying to make snowy nails.  I'll have to remember it for the winter!


This manicure has given me the confidence I needed-- I'm going to try to do other dotted patterns!  Let us know if you try any!

No comments:

Post a Comment